5 Questions To Ask Yourself About Your Home – Being a homeowner comes with the responsibility to maintain your home. There are many parts of our home that we don’t think about regularly- that is until they stop working. Read our 10 questions to ask yourself about your home to think about areas that may be in need of some extra attention.
- Do you know how to shut off the main water, as well as water to sinks and toilets, the gas and electric? You may never think that you will need to know how to do this but in case of an emergency such as flooding, a fire, or even a broken toilet, it is important to know how to do this in your home.
- Are you smoke detectors working properly? Be sure that you are regularly testing your smoke detectors and changing their batteries once a year. It can be difficult to remember that you even have them until you’ve accidentally set them off, but it is important to be sure they are in proper working order.
- Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? If you run appliances or systems running off wood, gas, oil or another non-electric fuel it is important to have these detectors. They can be found at your local hardware store and are easy to install.
- Have you been regularly cleaning your dryer? This may seem like a silly concept but dryer lint can build up around the opening to the house and to the vent outside. The build up can easily cause a fire. Take apart the hose at the openings, sweep them and clear out any debris or build up.
- Do you know or remember what is in the walls? If you had a home inspection when you bought your house, pull it out; and review what was said about your home (you may catch things that you overlooked before). Is the wiring old? What about the plumbing? Were there signs of current leaks? Drainage issues? Termites? Knowing these things can help you catch safety issues before they become a problem and help you to plan for repairs that seem inevitable.
Through asking yourself these questions, you will be better prepared for anything that could happen with your home. Have you taken steps to prepare yourself and your home for anything? Comment to share with us.