5 Ways to Make Downsizing Easy – When you’re deciding to downsize, it is usually after the kids have gone to college, found jobs to support themselves, and moved out. Unfortunately, the parents are the ones usually left with all of the left over stuff. When downsizing, it becomes stressful trying to fit everything that adorned the home that your family of 6 grew up in into a much smaller house for two. That’s why I’ve created this list of tips for making downsizing an easy, almost enjoyable process for you.
5 ways to make downsizing easy:
- Be realistic. Think about it, have you used that item in the last few months? Did you last wear that outfit for your child’s school play? Be honest and lose anything that is out of date or simply does not flatter you anymore.
- Make a list of must-keeps. Consider your favorite outfits and of course, the ones you simply can’t live without. This will help you say goodbye to the things that didn’t make the list and grow accustomed to a smaller closet.
- Slow and steady wins the race. Starting at least three months before your move and setting aside some time each day or each week to go through your possessions will prevent stress in the end. Procrastinating will only make you more stressed and anxious for your move.
- Go green. You’ll free up a ton of space by limiting the amount of paper in your home, and help the environment, too! Consider storing your documents on an online cloud storage app such as Dropbox or Google Apps!
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. Instead of throwing away the items that don’t make the cut, give them to friends, use them in a DIY project, or donate them to charity.
Do you have any tips for downsizing? What has worked for you? Leave a comment and let us know!